American Asperger's Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Asperger's Association Support Group

Latest topics
» Chambers of Hope (COH) and American Aspergers Association (AAA)
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 1:29 pm by csweepigirl

» Introductions
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 12:39 am by earthenvessel

» June 4th 2011
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 6:22 am by csweepigirl

» Free Home Speech Practice Home offer
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 2:21 pm by csweepigirl

» Support group meeting and hbot volunteers
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 9:35 am by Dr. Ron

» Favor....Locals..read..please...
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 7:46 am by bondgary009

» Developmental Disabilities (AAIDD) is hosting the first of its best practices webinars
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 4:51 am by csweepigirl

» We need to start this website back up again!
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 2:33 am by man of a million names

» Group Home Manager is Yelling I Need Help
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 3:10 am by csweepigirl

» Facebook
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 2:27 am by KelleyNNelson

» Support Group Meetings 2011 *EDITED*
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 3:57 am by KelleyNNelson

» community happenings!
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 6:01 am by asg_tlm@hotmail.com

» Asperger's (how it is diagnosed and treated)
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 4:27 pm by csweepigirl

» What do you do when people look at you by the pills you take vs. the person you are?
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 4:01 pm by csweepigirl

» Items under your nose that are gluten free, and cheap too!
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 5:59 am by KelleyNNelson

» Adam
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 1:19 am by man of a million names

» Looking for friends
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 8:51 pm by channing28105

» Maas-Rowe Carillon Questions
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 8:51 pm by channing28105

» Video Emails from Dr. Ron
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 1:40 am by Dr. Ron

» Ah, it's good to be back.
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 5:03 am by man of a million names

» 1st Annual Aspergers Volleyball Tournament
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 2:03 am by Dr. Ron

» free event: Therapeutic Recreation Adapted Sailing and Kayak Clinic
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 3:20 am by csweepigirl

» Help! I Seem to be Getting More Autistic!" ARTICLE
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 10:22 am by csweepigirl

» Was this teacher out of line?
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 10:31 pm by lovethefish

» OMG THE PLACE IS REMODELED!!!!
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 2:38 am by KelleyNNelson

» Got Plates?
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 1:19 am by KelleyNNelson

» Local IEP Advocate!! THANKS VAL!!!
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 1:16 pm by csweepigirl

» Pinellas ESE advisory board meetings
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 12:31 am by lovethefish

» Dentists who use sedation.. thanks Dr. Ron
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 12:28 am by lovethefish

» Hey GAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 5:25 am by csweepigirl

» Autism in the news: WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A hormone thought to encourage bonding between mothers and their babies may foster social behavior in some adults with autism, French researchers said on Monday.
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 7:01 am by csweepigirl

» **********echo*******************
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 11:16 pm by KelleyNNelson

» Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family?
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 9:47 am by csweepigirl

» Hi! Long time no see.
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 3:04 am by KelleyNNelson

» Hellooooo? Need some freakin' help here.
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 8:50 am by man of a million names

» Cats or dogs? Summer or winter?
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 6:47 am by man of a million names

» Mozark and the whale *aspergers movie* on showtime on demand.. SUCKED by the way
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 6:42 am by man of a million names

» Adult Aspergers Syndrome
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 4:07 pm by KelleyNNelson

» Asperger’s Syndrome: A Developmental Puzzle by Michael McCroskery
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 12:22 pm by csweepigirl

» Really Cool Super Awesome Thing! Kim And Kelly You Have To Read This!
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 4:24 am by man of a million names

» 2 Articles of Interest Re: Aspergers
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 6:15 am by csweepigirl

» Accidently stubled across some info about meletonin oops!
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 2:41 pm by csweepigirl

» Lack of Services for ASD
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 8:04 pm by Dr. Ron

» New and having a hard time
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 3:40 am by lovethefish

» Sorry I haven't been around as much (update)
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 10:53 pm by KelleyNNelson

» Having a hard time again
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 8:35 am by man of a million names

» Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it?
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 10:46 pm by KelleyNNelson

» Follow through or not.
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 4:01 am by csweepigirl

» New Pediatrics Autism Study Putting Prevalence at 1 in 91
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 11:45 am by csweepigirl

» Different Directions
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 12:41 am by csweepigirl

» AS is a very difficult diagnosis to make.
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 1:47 pm by csweepigirl

» How is everyone?
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 9:48 pm by Jerry Graham

» CD to benefit the AAA ~!!!!! Check this out!!
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 11:14 am by bassfiddlesteve

» I met Joe Diffie's son!
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 8:01 am by csweepigirl

» Anyone feel like helping me smack the crap out of my former boss?
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 7:56 am by csweepigirl

» Lazy or Aspergers?? or both?
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 5:20 am by man of a million names

» The right thing?
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 7:27 am by man of a million names

» Mark Fowler and his wonderful work.
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 5:51 am by man of a million names

» A.A.A. RESEARCH STUDY. Do you see any differences between females with Aspergers vs. males with Aspergers
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 1:49 pm by csweepigirl

» What happened?? because I don't know, do you?
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 6:24 am by man of a million names

» Haha, Funny URL.
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 9:15 am by man of a million names

» Dude! Kim, I forgot to tell you... and maybe anyone else at the last meeting...
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 4:59 am by man of a million names

» My son is making strange noises!
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 11:41 pm by KelleyNNelson

» Terrible sound on video
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 9:30 am by man of a million names

» Aspian or Aspergian?
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 7:22 am by man of a million names

» If you, or you know someone who needs a BIG/HUGE carseat..
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 12:33 am by csweepigirl

» Just a quick hello
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 7:37 am by man of a million names

» We started the FLDRS process...and here's what we found out so far
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 7:19 am by man of a million names

» Support Groups
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 1:31 pm by KelleyNNelson

» (Aspergers) Boy Meets Girl Movie
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 8:13 am by man of a million names

» I give up, with trying to ever just relax, really.. I'm so flustrated!
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 9:15 am by man of a million names

» Basic White or Yellow Cake
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 6:33 am by man of a million names

» When did this category get here?
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 1:55 am by man of a million names

» Pork Fried Rice
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 11:17 pm by man of a million names

» Why Are The Private Messages Still Disabled????
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 10:48 pm by man of a million names

» Sorry I've been M.I.A.
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 6:04 am by man of a million names

» 5Km Run For AS!
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 11:30 pm by man of a million names

» Help for a mother.
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 12:01 pm by Dr. Ron

» Aspergers and empathy
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 11:41 am by csweepigirl

» We are the three amigo(a)s!Aanyone care to join?
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 12:42 am by man of a million names

» Vaccinations, Red Book, What?
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 12:21 am by Dr. Ron

» What is the first step?
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 7:14 am by Dr. Ron

» Children who can’t cuddle
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 1:27 pm by csweepigirl

» Challenging popular myths about autism
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 10:59 pm by Dr. Ron

» I NEED your HELP!!
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 2:41 am by melissa

» Ok..what do I do? any suggestions..
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 3:53 am by melissa

» Back home!
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 2:10 pm by KelleyNNelson

» Any spanish speakers willing to help an aspie in spain?
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 1:34 pm by csweepigirl

» Gluten Free Simple Bread
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 11:49 am by csweepigirl

» More research (genetics)
questions and answers I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 11:43 am by csweepigirl

You are not connected. Please login or register

questions and answers

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1questions and answers Empty questions and answers Tue May 19, 2009 2:59 am

bmiley a

1. How did you hear about the American Asperger's Association (i.e. internet search engine, school, library, doctors office, existing member, etc) and what benefits are you looking to gain from our family?

I found you online but can't remember how. My son has Asperger's and I'm always looking for info that could help.

2. Do you or any adult relative, friend, etc. have or suspect you/they have an autism spectrum disorder, for example Asperger's Syndrome? If yes, please share your/their story with us. It will help us to get to know you better, and many of our members will be able to easily relate and bond with you.
&
3. Do you have or care for a child that has or you suspect that they have an autism spectrum disorder, for example Asperger's Syndrome? If yes, please share your/their story with us. It will help us to get to know you better, and many of our members will be able to easily relate with and bond with you.

I'm combining these 2 questions as my son is an adult but was once a child. I'll call him by his favourite nickname, "Casper".
When he was small, Casper was right on schedule or early physically. He walked early but had trouble going through doorways, he'd line himself up then bump into the edge. Later we found he had a problem with spatial awareness.
His speech was delayed until age 3, he made some sounds but nothing you could understand and when he did start speeking he was very difficult to understand. We got embarrassed because he made an "f" sound for "tr" and in a store he was yelling that he wanted a TRUCK, but that's not what came out. Asking his DR. about it I was told "he'd grow out of it".
When he started Junior Kindergarten he lasted 3 days then said he didn't want to go back, it turns out he had asked to use the bathroom but the teacher didn't understand what he wanted. Arrangements were made for me to become a "class helper" so things went well with me gradually working in the library for longer periods until I only went to his class if the teacher wanted to take them for a walk. After that year he was ok staying in school. At the urging of the principal I again approached his Dr. and he was sent for speech therapy and learning assessment. He was diagnosed with learning disabilities plus dislexia, and continued with speech therapy. For Grade 1 he went to a special class for learning disabled until Grade 3.
Casper was very shy, often "melting" slowly into a puddle on the floor. He went to Beavers and Cubs (Boy Scouts) and coped well there but my husband and I helped out with the groups. When he was older he always wore a baseball cap so he could hide under the brim.
When we moved, he had to leave his special class and since the new school board didn't have a similar program they put him in a regular class with a teaching assistant to help. While there they found out he could read a lot better than he let anyone know so started giving him more advanced work.
At 10 he went for surgery to help his speech, there was problem btween the nose and the throat, if it had been worse it would have been cleft pallette. After that his speech improved so now you wouldn't know he had a problem. The learning disabilities continued though, and acting inappropriately, taking toys to school, etc.
This continued through into high school and finally he got into big trouble for taking a realistic looking toy gun to school. When the panic subsided and we got things straightened out the school phycologist recommended he see her husband who specialized in Asperger's Syndrome. He was finally diagnosed and we were able to know better what to do for him. However, except for taking him to the Dr there wasn't much info available then in the mid-eighties.
Casper had taken an interest in drawing, especially space craft, he loved the military and could tell a convincing story. One time he had his hgh school teachers (he was in his late teens) convinced that he had spent the weekend flying a jet plane in the arctic. He joined Air Cadets, a group for young people sponsored by the Canadian Armed Forces. There he learned more about discipline and dressing neatly, went on weekend camps where he broadened his love of survival tactics outdoors. Since he was older when he joined he wasn't there for too long but it dd help.
Casper has continued his love of drawing, just has been asked to do a cartoon strip in the newsletter for a support group he's in and had an online community ask him to post it there too.
He lives on his own, with his pet rabbits, doesn't do well with his money or cleaning but has found some groups to join that have art programs and writing groups. He has become a volunteer with a major theatre here, participating in various activities there. A few years ago the theatre decided to have a ghost tour in October and Casper took charge of the special effects. He has researched and built numerous ghostly effects, working with a friend and generally taking charge.
Our lives haven't been easy dealing with Asperger's and 2 other children, Casper's older brother (by 5 years) and younger sister (by 8 years) plus a Dad that didn't really understand. We have endured with the help of humour.

4. Do you work in any field with people on the autism spectrum disorder? If so, what do you do? How long have you been in the field? Examples would be a doctor, therapist, teacher, aide, ym/wca employee, caregiver etc... Also, if you are local to the Tampa Bay Area, would you be interested in speaking at any of our informational support group meetings in Pinellas Park?

No.

5. Are you local to the Tampa Bay Area? More specifically the Pinellas County area? If so, would you be interested in attending our twice monthly informational support group meetings in Pinellas Park? After approved, be sure to mark in your profile that you are local so that you will be able to receive emails regarding local information and events.

No I'm in Canada.

2questions and answers Empty Re: questions and answers Tue May 19, 2009 12:17 pm

IWPerez

What an interesting and delightful son you have. I can't imagine having worked through the issues you did in the 80's. That is quite a feat. It was challenging enough for me in the 90's when my children were being diagnosed. But, I guess we as parents find a way to get by pretty well. We too have endured with a heavy dose of humor. Both my sons became quite the comedians. It has been very rewarding and life changing to be a part of their lives.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum