American Asperger's Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Asperger's Association Support Group

Latest topics
» Chambers of Hope (COH) and American Aspergers Association (AAA)
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 1:29 pm by csweepigirl

» Introductions
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 12:39 am by earthenvessel

» June 4th 2011
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 6:22 am by csweepigirl

» Free Home Speech Practice Home offer
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 2:21 pm by csweepigirl

» Support group meeting and hbot volunteers
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 9:35 am by Dr. Ron

» Favor....Locals..read..please...
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 7:46 am by bondgary009

» Developmental Disabilities (AAIDD) is hosting the first of its best practices webinars
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 4:51 am by csweepigirl

» We need to start this website back up again!
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 2:33 am by man of a million names

» Group Home Manager is Yelling I Need Help
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 3:10 am by csweepigirl

» Facebook
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 2:27 am by KelleyNNelson

» Support Group Meetings 2011 *EDITED*
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 3:57 am by KelleyNNelson

» community happenings!
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 6:01 am by asg_tlm@hotmail.com

» Asperger's (how it is diagnosed and treated)
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 4:27 pm by csweepigirl

» What do you do when people look at you by the pills you take vs. the person you are?
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 4:01 pm by csweepigirl

» Items under your nose that are gluten free, and cheap too!
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 5:59 am by KelleyNNelson

» Adam
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 1:19 am by man of a million names

» Looking for friends
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 8:51 pm by channing28105

» Maas-Rowe Carillon Questions
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 8:51 pm by channing28105

» Video Emails from Dr. Ron
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 1:40 am by Dr. Ron

» Ah, it's good to be back.
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 5:03 am by man of a million names

» 1st Annual Aspergers Volleyball Tournament
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 2:03 am by Dr. Ron

» free event: Therapeutic Recreation Adapted Sailing and Kayak Clinic
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 3:20 am by csweepigirl

» Help! I Seem to be Getting More Autistic!" ARTICLE
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 10:22 am by csweepigirl

» Was this teacher out of line?
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 10:31 pm by lovethefish

» OMG THE PLACE IS REMODELED!!!!
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 2:38 am by KelleyNNelson

» Got Plates?
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 1:19 am by KelleyNNelson

» Local IEP Advocate!! THANKS VAL!!!
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 1:16 pm by csweepigirl

» Pinellas ESE advisory board meetings
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 12:31 am by lovethefish

» Dentists who use sedation.. thanks Dr. Ron
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 12:28 am by lovethefish

» Hey GAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 5:25 am by csweepigirl

» Autism in the news: WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A hormone thought to encourage bonding between mothers and their babies may foster social behavior in some adults with autism, French researchers said on Monday.
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 7:01 am by csweepigirl

» **********echo*******************
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 11:16 pm by KelleyNNelson

» Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family?
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 9:47 am by csweepigirl

» Hi! Long time no see.
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 3:04 am by KelleyNNelson

» Hellooooo? Need some freakin' help here.
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 8:50 am by man of a million names

» Cats or dogs? Summer or winter?
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 6:47 am by man of a million names

» Mozark and the whale *aspergers movie* on showtime on demand.. SUCKED by the way
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 6:42 am by man of a million names

» Adult Aspergers Syndrome
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 4:07 pm by KelleyNNelson

» Asperger’s Syndrome: A Developmental Puzzle by Michael McCroskery
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 12:22 pm by csweepigirl

» Really Cool Super Awesome Thing! Kim And Kelly You Have To Read This!
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 4:24 am by man of a million names

» 2 Articles of Interest Re: Aspergers
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 6:15 am by csweepigirl

» Accidently stubled across some info about meletonin oops!
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 2:41 pm by csweepigirl

» Lack of Services for ASD
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 8:04 pm by Dr. Ron

» New and having a hard time
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 3:40 am by lovethefish

» Sorry I haven't been around as much (update)
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 10:53 pm by KelleyNNelson

» Having a hard time again
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 8:35 am by man of a million names

» Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it?
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 10:46 pm by KelleyNNelson

» Follow through or not.
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 4:01 am by csweepigirl

» New Pediatrics Autism Study Putting Prevalence at 1 in 91
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 11:45 am by csweepigirl

» Different Directions
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 12:41 am by csweepigirl

» AS is a very difficult diagnosis to make.
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 1:47 pm by csweepigirl

» How is everyone?
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 9:48 pm by Jerry Graham

» CD to benefit the AAA ~!!!!! Check this out!!
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 11:14 am by bassfiddlesteve

» I met Joe Diffie's son!
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 8:01 am by csweepigirl

» Anyone feel like helping me smack the crap out of my former boss?
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 7:56 am by csweepigirl

» Lazy or Aspergers?? or both?
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 5:20 am by man of a million names

» The right thing?
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 7:27 am by man of a million names

» Mark Fowler and his wonderful work.
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 5:51 am by man of a million names

» A.A.A. RESEARCH STUDY. Do you see any differences between females with Aspergers vs. males with Aspergers
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 1:49 pm by csweepigirl

» What happened?? because I don't know, do you?
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 6:24 am by man of a million names

» Haha, Funny URL.
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 9:15 am by man of a million names

» Dude! Kim, I forgot to tell you... and maybe anyone else at the last meeting...
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 4:59 am by man of a million names

» My son is making strange noises!
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 11:41 pm by KelleyNNelson

» Terrible sound on video
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 9:30 am by man of a million names

» Aspian or Aspergian?
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 7:22 am by man of a million names

» If you, or you know someone who needs a BIG/HUGE carseat..
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 12:33 am by csweepigirl

» Just a quick hello
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 7:37 am by man of a million names

» We started the FLDRS process...and here's what we found out so far
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 7:19 am by man of a million names

» Support Groups
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 1:31 pm by KelleyNNelson

» (Aspergers) Boy Meets Girl Movie
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 8:13 am by man of a million names

» I give up, with trying to ever just relax, really.. I'm so flustrated!
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 9:15 am by man of a million names

» Basic White or Yellow Cake
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 6:33 am by man of a million names

» When did this category get here?
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 1:55 am by man of a million names

» Pork Fried Rice
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 11:17 pm by man of a million names

» Why Are The Private Messages Still Disabled????
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 10:48 pm by man of a million names

» Sorry I've been M.I.A.
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 6:04 am by man of a million names

» 5Km Run For AS!
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 11:30 pm by man of a million names

» Help for a mother.
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 12:01 pm by Dr. Ron

» Aspergers and empathy
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 11:41 am by csweepigirl

» We are the three amigo(a)s!Aanyone care to join?
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 12:42 am by man of a million names

» Vaccinations, Red Book, What?
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 12:21 am by Dr. Ron

» What is the first step?
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 7:14 am by Dr. Ron

» Children who can’t cuddle
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 1:27 pm by csweepigirl

» Challenging popular myths about autism
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 10:59 pm by Dr. Ron

» I NEED your HELP!!
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 2:41 am by melissa

» Ok..what do I do? any suggestions..
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 3:53 am by melissa

» Back home!
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 2:10 pm by KelleyNNelson

» Any spanish speakers willing to help an aspie in spain?
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 1:34 pm by csweepigirl

» Gluten Free Simple Bread
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 11:49 am by csweepigirl

» More research (genetics)
Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 11:43 am by csweepigirl

You are not connected. Please login or register

Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

man of a million names

This is it:

As you travel down a path leading to your destination, there comes a fork in the road. Standing before you are two sisters, twins. You know one sister tells only the truth. The other tells only lies. But you do not know which is which. You can only ask one question, to which they both shall answer. To be sure you travel on the right path, what question do you ask them?

I thought the answer to this was something to the idea of "Do you have a sister?" to which I got "If you were to ask the sisters that question, it would only tell you who is the liar, not which road to take. You see, you only have one question to ask. They would leave you at your crossroads without any direction. Would you like to think of another response?"

This is very interesting. And somewhat complicated. Which is why I'm cheating. So help please. Thank you!

csweepigirl

csweepigirl
Admin

What about: Do you know where my destination is? the truther could say yes, and tell you where it is. The other, the lier; would say yes..but she would not know where the destination lies..

I could be very wrong.. this is interesting, I think more on it though.

KelleyNNelson

KelleyNNelson
Admin

This is a very similar riddle from the movie The Labyrinth... Only she got to ask as many questions as she liked. And she picked wrong in the end. I don't remember the gist of how to figure out the riddle... I've never been any good at wrapping my head around them. Sorry.

man of a million names

Kim, I think that's a good one. I'll put that down before I answer. See if you can think of another, though, like maybe a 'yes or no' type one. Obviously, which sister is lying or not has nothing to do with getting to your destination. You just need to make sure you know the truth before you continue your journey. And I'll try to think of one too.

And Kelly, see if you can help even if you can't 'wrap your head around it.' Do you own The Labyrinth?

KelleyNNelson

KelleyNNelson
Admin

Yeah, I do own it. I'll have to watch it to see how she came to her decision... even though it ended up being the wrong one.

6Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? Empty Your solution, sir. Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:49 pm

KelleyNNelson

KelleyNNelson
Admin

Chris, here is the solution to your riddle, via wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_and_Knaves#Some_Examples_of_.22Knights_and_Knaves.22_puzzles. Check out question #3 and its solution for a single question way to get the correct answer. This was the solution to the problem in The Labyrinth: link= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinth_(film).

The "(film)" is part of the link, the blog just doesn't seem to like it for some reason and won't accept it, so you will have to copy and paste it if you wish to read about the movie itself.

Anyway, hope this helps!

man of a million names

I read about the Knights and Knaves, and that was very helpful. That's closely related to the answer I think. But it's a bit difficult to understand, especially since my brain hurts right now haha. But thanks. I'll see if I can figure out the logic and the Boolean algebra stuff later, but that's like, college-level stuff, which is in about 10 years. Very complicated.

csweepigirl

csweepigirl
Admin

Will the path you are on take me where I just came from?

Still thinking on this....

man of a million names

Wel, Kim, there's only a right direction and a wrong direction. We know that one lead to the destination. But with a little tweaking, that might work.

What about this:
Will the path that the other sister blocks lead me to my destination?

csweepigirl

csweepigirl
Admin

Still the same problem, one will say yes, other will say no..

if you ask them "Will the path you are on take me where I just came from?" you will know who the one telling the truth is... ugghh but how does that solve anything???

KelleyNNelson

KelleyNNelson
Admin

Rrrr.... Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? 617611 I have to explain it all again. The answer is in that link and we told Kim the answer last night.

Here's the deal: you ask either one of them "Will she (pointing to the opposite girl) tell me that the *insert your favorite direction here* path is the correct path?"

Let's say you asked if going "right" is the correct path. If she says yes, you go left. If she says no, you go right. In other words, you do the opposite of whatever she says.

The theory being, if you are asking the person who is lying, she will tell you that what the truthful person would say is a lie, so you have to go the opposite direction she says.

If you are asking the person who tells the truth, she would be telling the truth when she says that the other person, the liar, would tell you to go the wrong direction, so again, you would have to go the opposite direction she says.

Q.E.D. Solved. If you don't understand how we got to the answer, I will quote one of my math teachers and say "who cares, you have your answer!"

Last edited by KelleyNNelson on Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:39 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : verification)

Dr. Ron

Dr. Ron
Admin

How can this be a paradox when there is only one doc here? Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it? 34687

man of a million names

Haha, a Pair-of-Docs! That's funny. But I'm a Doc. In some things at least... Not psychology, I'll say that much.

I've got a Ph.D in Love. Haha, Sorry Simmons!

KelleyNNelson

KelleyNNelson
Admin

*groans*

man of a million names

Hey, don't be like that! It's not a sin to use puns or be silly.

csweepigirl

csweepigirl
Admin

LOL.. I like this (quoting Kelley)

"Q.E.D. Solved. If you don't understand how we got to the answer, I will quote one of my math teachers and say "who cares, you have your answer!"

KelleyNNelson

KelleyNNelson
Admin

Sorry, puns have never been my "thing" I guess... Now, silliness, there's something I'm good at. Maybe overly good at if you get me going. I'll start acting like a 5 year old in 2 minutes flat! lol...

KelleyNNelson

KelleyNNelson
Admin

csweepigirl wrote:LOL.. I like this (quoting Kelley)

"Q.E.D. Solved. If you don't understand how we got to the answer, I will quote one of my math teachers and say "who cares, you have your answer!"

I always hated the people in the math class who needed a step by step specific answer showing them how they got to the answer when really it was just a simple equation that got them there... So my math teacher was always telling them to shut up and deal with it... you've got your answer, now move on. They couldn't stand it. I loved the simplicity of it and I laughed at them for their OCD of it. Or maybe it was simply my better understanding of it. (We're talking either Trig or AP Calculus at this point, same teacher either way.)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum