American Asperger's Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Asperger's Association Support Group

Latest topics
» Chambers of Hope (COH) and American Aspergers Association (AAA)
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 1:29 pm by csweepigirl

» Introductions
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 12:39 am by earthenvessel

» June 4th 2011
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 6:22 am by csweepigirl

» Free Home Speech Practice Home offer
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 2:21 pm by csweepigirl

» Support group meeting and hbot volunteers
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 9:35 am by Dr. Ron

» Favor....Locals..read..please...
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 7:46 am by bondgary009

» Developmental Disabilities (AAIDD) is hosting the first of its best practices webinars
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 4:51 am by csweepigirl

» We need to start this website back up again!
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 2:33 am by man of a million names

» Group Home Manager is Yelling I Need Help
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 3:10 am by csweepigirl

» Facebook
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 2:27 am by KelleyNNelson

» Support Group Meetings 2011 *EDITED*
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 3:57 am by KelleyNNelson

» community happenings!
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 6:01 am by asg_tlm@hotmail.com

» Asperger's (how it is diagnosed and treated)
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 4:27 pm by csweepigirl

» What do you do when people look at you by the pills you take vs. the person you are?
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 4:01 pm by csweepigirl

» Items under your nose that are gluten free, and cheap too!
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 5:59 am by KelleyNNelson

» Adam
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 1:19 am by man of a million names

» Looking for friends
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 8:51 pm by channing28105

» Maas-Rowe Carillon Questions
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 8:51 pm by channing28105

» Video Emails from Dr. Ron
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 1:40 am by Dr. Ron

» Ah, it's good to be back.
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 5:03 am by man of a million names

» 1st Annual Aspergers Volleyball Tournament
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 2:03 am by Dr. Ron

» free event: Therapeutic Recreation Adapted Sailing and Kayak Clinic
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 3:20 am by csweepigirl

» Help! I Seem to be Getting More Autistic!" ARTICLE
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 10:22 am by csweepigirl

» Was this teacher out of line?
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 10:31 pm by lovethefish

» OMG THE PLACE IS REMODELED!!!!
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 2:38 am by KelleyNNelson

» Got Plates?
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 1:19 am by KelleyNNelson

» Local IEP Advocate!! THANKS VAL!!!
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 1:16 pm by csweepigirl

» Pinellas ESE advisory board meetings
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 12:31 am by lovethefish

» Dentists who use sedation.. thanks Dr. Ron
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 12:28 am by lovethefish

» Hey GAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 5:25 am by csweepigirl

» Autism in the news: WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A hormone thought to encourage bonding between mothers and their babies may foster social behavior in some adults with autism, French researchers said on Monday.
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 7:01 am by csweepigirl

» **********echo*******************
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 11:16 pm by KelleyNNelson

» Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family?
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 9:47 am by csweepigirl

» Hi! Long time no see.
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 3:04 am by KelleyNNelson

» Hellooooo? Need some freakin' help here.
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 8:50 am by man of a million names

» Cats or dogs? Summer or winter?
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 6:47 am by man of a million names

» Mozark and the whale *aspergers movie* on showtime on demand.. SUCKED by the way
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 6:42 am by man of a million names

» Adult Aspergers Syndrome
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 4:07 pm by KelleyNNelson

» Asperger’s Syndrome: A Developmental Puzzle by Michael McCroskery
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 12:22 pm by csweepigirl

» Really Cool Super Awesome Thing! Kim And Kelly You Have To Read This!
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 4:24 am by man of a million names

» 2 Articles of Interest Re: Aspergers
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 6:15 am by csweepigirl

» Accidently stubled across some info about meletonin oops!
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 2:41 pm by csweepigirl

» Lack of Services for ASD
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 8:04 pm by Dr. Ron

» New and having a hard time
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 3:40 am by lovethefish

» Sorry I haven't been around as much (update)
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 10:53 pm by KelleyNNelson

» Having a hard time again
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 8:35 am by man of a million names

» Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it?
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 10:46 pm by KelleyNNelson

» Follow through or not.
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 4:01 am by csweepigirl

» New Pediatrics Autism Study Putting Prevalence at 1 in 91
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 11:45 am by csweepigirl

» Different Directions
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 12:41 am by csweepigirl

» AS is a very difficult diagnosis to make.
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 1:47 pm by csweepigirl

» How is everyone?
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 9:48 pm by Jerry Graham

» CD to benefit the AAA ~!!!!! Check this out!!
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 11:14 am by bassfiddlesteve

» I met Joe Diffie's son!
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 8:01 am by csweepigirl

» Anyone feel like helping me smack the crap out of my former boss?
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 7:56 am by csweepigirl

» Lazy or Aspergers?? or both?
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 5:20 am by man of a million names

» The right thing?
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 7:27 am by man of a million names

» Mark Fowler and his wonderful work.
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 5:51 am by man of a million names

» A.A.A. RESEARCH STUDY. Do you see any differences between females with Aspergers vs. males with Aspergers
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 1:49 pm by csweepigirl

» What happened?? because I don't know, do you?
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 6:24 am by man of a million names

» Haha, Funny URL.
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 9:15 am by man of a million names

» Dude! Kim, I forgot to tell you... and maybe anyone else at the last meeting...
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 4:59 am by man of a million names

» My son is making strange noises!
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 11:41 pm by KelleyNNelson

» Terrible sound on video
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 9:30 am by man of a million names

» Aspian or Aspergian?
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 7:22 am by man of a million names

» If you, or you know someone who needs a BIG/HUGE carseat..
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 12:33 am by csweepigirl

» Just a quick hello
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 7:37 am by man of a million names

» We started the FLDRS process...and here's what we found out so far
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 7:19 am by man of a million names

» Support Groups
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 1:31 pm by KelleyNNelson

» (Aspergers) Boy Meets Girl Movie
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 8:13 am by man of a million names

» I give up, with trying to ever just relax, really.. I'm so flustrated!
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 9:15 am by man of a million names

» Basic White or Yellow Cake
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 6:33 am by man of a million names

» When did this category get here?
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 1:55 am by man of a million names

» Pork Fried Rice
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 11:17 pm by man of a million names

» Why Are The Private Messages Still Disabled????
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 10:48 pm by man of a million names

» Sorry I've been M.I.A.
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 6:04 am by man of a million names

» 5Km Run For AS!
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 11:30 pm by man of a million names

» Help for a mother.
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 12:01 pm by Dr. Ron

» Aspergers and empathy
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 11:41 am by csweepigirl

» We are the three amigo(a)s!Aanyone care to join?
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 12:42 am by man of a million names

» Vaccinations, Red Book, What?
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 12:21 am by Dr. Ron

» What is the first step?
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 7:14 am by Dr. Ron

» Children who can’t cuddle
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 1:27 pm by csweepigirl

» Challenging popular myths about autism
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 10:59 pm by Dr. Ron

» I NEED your HELP!!
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 2:41 am by melissa

» Ok..what do I do? any suggestions..
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 3:53 am by melissa

» Back home!
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 2:10 pm by KelleyNNelson

» Any spanish speakers willing to help an aspie in spain?
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 1:34 pm by csweepigirl

» Gluten Free Simple Bread
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 11:49 am by csweepigirl

» More research (genetics)
Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 11:43 am by csweepigirl

You are not connected. Please login or register

Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

KelleyNNelson

KelleyNNelson
Admin

I recently went to my local publix and bought 2 boxes of waffles, one regular one mini waffles.... As this was the "No gluten" section, and that brand was well known for its non gluten waffles, I didn't even bother to look as I've been buying them for years now. The next morning, my son (nearly 6 and mildy autistic) requested waffles for breakfast, I asked him if he wanted big or mini (which has basically 4 mini waffles to fit into one large waffle), he replied mini. I asked him if he wanted 1 or 2. He said he wanted 2, which meant he was hungry... a rarity, so I was more than willing to give him the food. I prepared his waffles and the rest of his food (whatever it was, usually some fruit, maybe some bacon or sausage and some sort of drink).

He cleaned his plate, asked for a third waffle. Baffled, as my son never eats, much less for breakfast, I gave him another waffle. He scarfed it in 2 seconds and asked for more. This is when I got suspicious. I went and looked at the box more carefully... as it sat next to the other waffle box. The big waffle box said prominently on it WHEAT FREE, GLUTEN FREE while the minis were simply blank, other than their name. I grabbed the box out of the freezer, searching for any small print I could find saying gluten free and finally gave up and peered, through squinted eyes, knowing what I'd see, at the ingredient list. Of course the first ingredient was "UNBLEACHED ENRICHED WHOLE WHEAT"

I threw the box back in the freezer as if stung by a bee and then began to worry of the days ahead. My son has been totally gluten free for about 2 years now. We were visiting his old PK teacher the next day and had company coming that evening as well, and they were staying a couple of days. Those days were more or less OK... He had a tantrum on the last night our guests were here, but I chalk that up to a long day and him being tired more than anything else. It was the day after they left things really started to get hairy. He turned into the hulk. You know, "Don't make me angry. You don't want to see me... angry." Without provocation, he would meltdown and tantrum. At the slightest "No" when he didn't want to hear it, he'd meltdown.

And by meltdown, I mean throwing as large of an item he can get to the closest breakable item, to start. We intercept, that makes him even more upset and he takes it out on us, punching, kicking... seeming to know where to aim for the hurt. (Crotch for my husband, pulls to my hair to put me into submission and wail on my head with the other hand, Chuck Norris kicks to the gut... for both of us, head ringing smacks and blows). And I do mean Hulk strength here. My husband and I both took Karate, I was 3 degrees away from Black before I had to quit and my husband is a 3rd degree black, so you think it'd be easy to deflect blows and maneuver around a 5 3/4 year old... Yeah, not so much. He's fast and unpredictable, and fights dirty. While we're able to block most of the blows, I've got bruises and scratches that prove he can get through. All the while he's yelling at us that he hates us and he doesn't love us anymore and how he wants to hurt us so bad that we cry and are sad, which is pretty much more painful than any of the blows he can land.

When we finally get him into submission so we can calm him or at the very least, keep him from harming himself, others, or the house, it's usually me because I'm the lightest, sitting on my knees just above him so that he can't squirm away, and yet so that I'm not putting any real pressure on him unless he tries to escape and then I also control his hands by lightly touching his arms and redirecting them. My husband also helps by controlling the arms a little when necessary. There was one point we were applying this technique when he squirmed underneath me so that he had his back to me. From this point, he was able to push my entire dead weight (130 lb.) off the ground simply by doing a push-up to his hands and knees, and then easily shrugged me off. This is what I'm trying to impress upon you folks. He is superman during these meltdowns.

Thing is, this particular technique works for us because he realizes he's at a stalemate. He can't do anything until we come to an agreement. We talk it out while in submission mode, even while he's still screaming at us, usually echolallically that we're on his "list" (one from his teacher) and also at the same time, telling one or the other parent to "get us the blazes out of here!" (From Polar Express). We try and hold out as long as possible, ask him where he is going to go and what he is going to do when we let him up, and until he can reply calmly with a reasonable answer, like "to the couch to watch a show," that is the time we let him up. He usually does one last thing, like knock the coffee table over or throw one more thing on his way... Just his way of "getting in the last word" but then he does what he says. We'll get him a drink and his "blankies" and let him cool off. The process itself usually takes a good hour or more depending on his determination. He occasionally has these meltdowns even when on the diet, but not every day, 2 and 3 times a day, even at the worst of times. We don't want to hurt him, and we don't want him to hurt himself, but I also know the detox time is a long arduous one.

Is there anything we can do to make it easier? My son is huge for his age, 65 pounds and over 4 feet tall, so he's already hard to handle on a good day, but when in this mode, it's impossible. I myself have bad joints and a bad back and I cannot pick him up anymore. I'm not strong enough, first of all... and also I'm not physically able. My husband threw his back out the other day during one of these sessions and is attempting to recover as well as help wherever possible. So any advice anyone has would be absolutely wonderful.

Thanks in advance.
Kelley

csweepigirl

csweepigirl
Admin

ah..just let it pass, it cant' be that bad! lol!

j/k, I had to!!!! I hope you get some advice other than...well..advice similar than the above hehe

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum