American Asperger's Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Asperger's Association Support Group

Latest topics
» Chambers of Hope (COH) and American Aspergers Association (AAA)
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 1:29 pm by csweepigirl

» Introductions
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 12:39 am by earthenvessel

» June 4th 2011
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 6:22 am by csweepigirl

» Free Home Speech Practice Home offer
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 2:21 pm by csweepigirl

» Support group meeting and hbot volunteers
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 9:35 am by Dr. Ron

» Favor....Locals..read..please...
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 7:46 am by bondgary009

» Developmental Disabilities (AAIDD) is hosting the first of its best practices webinars
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 4:51 am by csweepigirl

» We need to start this website back up again!
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 2:33 am by man of a million names

» Group Home Manager is Yelling I Need Help
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 3:10 am by csweepigirl

» Facebook
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 2:27 am by KelleyNNelson

» Support Group Meetings 2011 *EDITED*
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 3:57 am by KelleyNNelson

» community happenings!
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 6:01 am by asg_tlm@hotmail.com

» Asperger's (how it is diagnosed and treated)
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 4:27 pm by csweepigirl

» What do you do when people look at you by the pills you take vs. the person you are?
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 4:01 pm by csweepigirl

» Items under your nose that are gluten free, and cheap too!
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 5:59 am by KelleyNNelson

» Adam
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 1:19 am by man of a million names

» Looking for friends
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 8:51 pm by channing28105

» Maas-Rowe Carillon Questions
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 8:51 pm by channing28105

» Video Emails from Dr. Ron
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 1:40 am by Dr. Ron

» Ah, it's good to be back.
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 5:03 am by man of a million names

» 1st Annual Aspergers Volleyball Tournament
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 2:03 am by Dr. Ron

» free event: Therapeutic Recreation Adapted Sailing and Kayak Clinic
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 3:20 am by csweepigirl

» Help! I Seem to be Getting More Autistic!" ARTICLE
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 10:22 am by csweepigirl

» Was this teacher out of line?
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 10:31 pm by lovethefish

» OMG THE PLACE IS REMODELED!!!!
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 2:38 am by KelleyNNelson

» Got Plates?
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 1:19 am by KelleyNNelson

» Local IEP Advocate!! THANKS VAL!!!
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 1:16 pm by csweepigirl

» Pinellas ESE advisory board meetings
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 12:31 am by lovethefish

» Dentists who use sedation.. thanks Dr. Ron
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 12:28 am by lovethefish

» Hey GAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 5:25 am by csweepigirl

» Autism in the news: WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A hormone thought to encourage bonding between mothers and their babies may foster social behavior in some adults with autism, French researchers said on Monday.
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 7:01 am by csweepigirl

» **********echo*******************
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 11:16 pm by KelleyNNelson

» Any ideas on how to make a gluten regression easier for both child and family?
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 9:47 am by csweepigirl

» Hi! Long time no see.
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 3:04 am by KelleyNNelson

» Hellooooo? Need some freakin' help here.
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 8:50 am by man of a million names

» Cats or dogs? Summer or winter?
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 6:47 am by man of a million names

» Mozark and the whale *aspergers movie* on showtime on demand.. SUCKED by the way
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 6:42 am by man of a million names

» Adult Aspergers Syndrome
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 4:07 pm by KelleyNNelson

» Asperger’s Syndrome: A Developmental Puzzle by Michael McCroskery
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 12:22 pm by csweepigirl

» Really Cool Super Awesome Thing! Kim And Kelly You Have To Read This!
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 4:24 am by man of a million names

» 2 Articles of Interest Re: Aspergers
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 6:15 am by csweepigirl

» Accidently stubled across some info about meletonin oops!
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 2:41 pm by csweepigirl

» Lack of Services for ASD
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 8:04 pm by Dr. Ron

» New and having a hard time
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 3:40 am by lovethefish

» Sorry I haven't been around as much (update)
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 10:53 pm by KelleyNNelson

» Having a hard time again
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 8:35 am by man of a million names

» Important paradox/riddle! Anyone care to help with it?
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 10:46 pm by KelleyNNelson

» Follow through or not.
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 4:01 am by csweepigirl

» New Pediatrics Autism Study Putting Prevalence at 1 in 91
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 11:45 am by csweepigirl

» Different Directions
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 12:41 am by csweepigirl

» AS is a very difficult diagnosis to make.
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 1:47 pm by csweepigirl

» How is everyone?
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 9:48 pm by Jerry Graham

» CD to benefit the AAA ~!!!!! Check this out!!
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 11:14 am by bassfiddlesteve

» I met Joe Diffie's son!
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 8:01 am by csweepigirl

» Anyone feel like helping me smack the crap out of my former boss?
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 7:56 am by csweepigirl

» Lazy or Aspergers?? or both?
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 5:20 am by man of a million names

» The right thing?
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 7:27 am by man of a million names

» Mark Fowler and his wonderful work.
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 5:51 am by man of a million names

» A.A.A. RESEARCH STUDY. Do you see any differences between females with Aspergers vs. males with Aspergers
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 1:49 pm by csweepigirl

» What happened?? because I don't know, do you?
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 6:24 am by man of a million names

» Haha, Funny URL.
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 9:15 am by man of a million names

» Dude! Kim, I forgot to tell you... and maybe anyone else at the last meeting...
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 4:59 am by man of a million names

» My son is making strange noises!
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 11:41 pm by KelleyNNelson

» Terrible sound on video
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 9:30 am by man of a million names

» Aspian or Aspergian?
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 7:22 am by man of a million names

» If you, or you know someone who needs a BIG/HUGE carseat..
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 12:33 am by csweepigirl

» Just a quick hello
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 7:37 am by man of a million names

» We started the FLDRS process...and here's what we found out so far
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 7:19 am by man of a million names

» Support Groups
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 1:31 pm by KelleyNNelson

» (Aspergers) Boy Meets Girl Movie
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 8:13 am by man of a million names

» I give up, with trying to ever just relax, really.. I'm so flustrated!
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 9:15 am by man of a million names

» Basic White or Yellow Cake
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 6:33 am by man of a million names

» When did this category get here?
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 1:55 am by man of a million names

» Pork Fried Rice
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 11:17 pm by man of a million names

» Why Are The Private Messages Still Disabled????
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 10:48 pm by man of a million names

» Sorry I've been M.I.A.
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 6:04 am by man of a million names

» 5Km Run For AS!
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 11:30 pm by man of a million names

» Help for a mother.
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 12:01 pm by Dr. Ron

» Aspergers and empathy
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 11:41 am by csweepigirl

» We are the three amigo(a)s!Aanyone care to join?
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 12:42 am by man of a million names

» Vaccinations, Red Book, What?
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 12:21 am by Dr. Ron

» What is the first step?
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 7:14 am by Dr. Ron

» Children who can’t cuddle
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 1:27 pm by csweepigirl

» Challenging popular myths about autism
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 10:59 pm by Dr. Ron

» I NEED your HELP!!
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 2:41 am by melissa

» Ok..what do I do? any suggestions..
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 3:53 am by melissa

» Back home!
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 2:10 pm by KelleyNNelson

» Any spanish speakers willing to help an aspie in spain?
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 1:34 pm by csweepigirl

» Gluten Free Simple Bread
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 11:49 am by csweepigirl

» More research (genetics)
Lab tests for people on the spectrum I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 11:43 am by csweepigirl

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lab tests for people on the spectrum

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Lab tests for people on the spectrum Empty Lab tests for people on the spectrum Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:02 am

csweepigirl

csweepigirl
Admin

Testing for autoimmune disorders generally begins with the blood. There are a number of individual tests and panels of tests that are used by immunologists, rheumatologists, and other doctors. Because every person with ASD's are unique, you'll need to discuss test options with your physician. Here are some of the tests that physicians might use:

Blood count. Depleted white blood cells indicate that there is a virus or other infection active somewhere in the body.

Sedimentation rate. This test measures how quickly the red cells separate from the serum in a test tube. With normal inflammatory or auto-immune diseases, they separate quickly. Some clinicians have reported a very low "sed rate" in 35 to 40 percent of children with PDDs, indicating that a contradictory type of auto-immune reaction could be taking place.

General chemistry panel. Generally abbreviated as "Chem," and followed by a number that indicates how many tests were performed (Chem-16, Chem-25, etc.) The basic Chem panel checks levels of glucose (blood sugar), Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN), Creatinine, and electrolytes (including sodium and potassium).

Immune panel test. This general screen may include a search for antibodies, mitogen, antigen, and lymphocyte surface markers; and blood tests for various specific immune-dysfunction markers.

Anti-Neuronal Antibody (ANA) screen. The ANA looks for antibodies to brain tissue in the bloodstream. Their presence is a general indicator for a variety of auto-immune disorders, such as Lupus. Note that the Anti-Nuclear Antibody test, also abbreviated as ANA, may also be ordered. This test is part of the screening procedure for several auto-immune inflammatory diseases.

Tests that look for unusual levels of specific viral antibodies, perhaps including those associated with the Epstein-Barr virus, other human herpes viruses (HHV6, HHV7, HHV8, HSV-1, HSV-2), chronic mononucleosis syndrome (CMS), cytomegalovirus (CMV), rubella (German measles), and, if PANDAS is suspected, titers for group A beta-hemolytic streptococcus (ASO or ASLO). Some may order the antiDNAase B titer as well, although the current view is that this test won't tell you much.

Tests to check for immunoglobulin G (IgG) subclass abnormalities (IgG1, IgG2, IgG3, IgG4), which are found in patients with increased susceptibility to viral or bacterial infections due to a compromised immune system, autoimmune diseases, and immune-mediated neurological disorders. It's possible to plot the distributions of IgG sub-types against patterns associated with specific viruses or conditions.
Amino acid profile. Markers for an impaired immune system include low amounts of the amino acids lysine and arginine.

NeuroSPECT. This brain scan shows the diffusion of blood through the brain, indicating areas of low and high activity. In some people with PDDs, findings include low activity in the temporal lobe and sometimes in other regions of the brain.

Allergy tests. These can include the common skin test (mostly for environmental allergens), the RAST test (generally used for food sensitivities), and more-precise tests of blood, stool, or urine samples.

Tests for celiac disease. These may include blood tests for IgG and IgA Gliadin Antibodies (IgA AGA, which is the most specific of these two tests); IgA Reticulin Antibodies (IgA ARA, R1 type, a highly specific test); and IgA Endomysial Antibodies (EmA).

Tests for Candida albicans. Possibilities include microscopic stool exams, or blood serum or urine D-arabinitol (a Candida metabolite) levels. Although not definitive, elevated immunoglobulin M (IgM) levels suggest active or recent infection. IgG antibodies may be present long after the Candida is cured, so they don't necessarily mean anything. Remember, it is normal to find some Candida in the body. Only severely elevated findings should be a cause for concern.

Coloscopy. For serious GI-tract problems, this invasive test is performed by a gastroenterologist.
A multi-faceted immune panel can turn up many small pieces of evidence that, taken together, indicate a compromised immune system. Findings that may mean trouble for patients with PDDs include elevated CD4 and CD8 counts, or very low CD8 counts; low levels of Natural Killer (NK) cells; and elevated numbers of B cells (the cells that produce antibodies to disease).

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum